2014-2015 LEAP Peer Mentor Application
A Peer Mentor (PM) assists first-year students in their transition from high school to UAH by providing support and guidance. This is accomplished by the Peer Mentor committing time in the Fall and Spring semesters to build a meaningful and beneficial relationship with their assigned first year mentee. LEAP focuses on all aspects of adjustment: social, academic and mental wellness.
• Serve in this leadership position for the entire academic year
• Attend all mandatory training sessions
• Attend mandatory LEAP Mentor meetings
• Communicate regularly (at minimum monthly) with assigned mentee(s)
• Report any concerns that arise to a LEAP Advisor
• Attend a UAH sponsored event with assigned mentee(s) at least twice a semester
• Attend at least one LEAP sponsored event a semester
• Participate in all assessment and evaluations of program
• Respond in a timely manner to any communication associated with LEAP
Peer Mentor Qualifications:
• Full-Time Student enrolled at UAH
• Cumulative GPA of 2.5 or above
• Remain in good standing with the University
• Currently involved in various campus life activities
• A resume is required (first-year students can reference activities/service done in high school as well as UAH).
Applications are due Wednesday, July 2, 2014
Cumulative GPA (Note: The minimum GPA is 2.5)
Involvement on Campus (Check all that apply)
Academic Student Organizations
Community Service Student Organization or Volunteer Chargers
University Housing & Residence Life
Leadership Programs or Student Organizations (i.e. Aspire, Empower, Impact, Lead, LEAP, Lancers, or TRUE Chargers)
Multicultural Student Organizations
Political Student Organizations
Recreational Student Organization
Religious Student Organization
Special Interest Student Organization
Student Government Assoication
Week of Welcome Leader
Will you be applying or participating in Study Abroad, Co-op, or an Internship during the upcoming Fall 2014 Semester. (Select all that apply)
Will you be applying or participating in Study Abroad Co-Op, Internship during the upcoming Spring 2015 Semester. (Select all that apply)
Provide the name of the individual whom you would like to serve as your first official recommendation for a Peer Mentor Position (UAH Faculty or Staff Member preferred)
Provide the email address of the individual named in previous question
Please indicate your t-shirt size
I agree that any false statement contained herein or any pertinent information withheld from this application shall be sufficient cause for its rejection or dismissal. I authorize investigation of all statements contained in this application without liability arising thereon. I give the Office of Student Life permission to verify my GPA and also check my campus discipline record. I understand that selection is contingent upon verification of my qualifications.
By checking this box, I acknowledge that I have read and agree to the terms above.
Describe the experiences here at UAH which have motivated and prepared you to be an effective Peer Mentor.
What do you hope to gain from this experience? What do you expect to be challenged by in this opportunity?
If you are applying for a second year, please use this as an opportunity to reflect on your first year as a Peer Mentor.
What type of support would you need to effectively perform your role as a Peer Mentor?
Please list some activities you would enjoy to participate in if selected to be a LEAP Peer Mentor.
Do Not Fill This Out