2013-2014 Empower Application
UAHuntsville’s Empower Leadership Program provides second year students with the skills and connections to become a campus leader. Empower will develop a group of young collegians to support current campus activities and create a pool of qualified individuals to serve our campus community as leaders in a varierty of organizations such as SGA, ACE, and Lancers.
- Please complete all sections. Information about your commitment, GPA, major, and class schedule must be completed.
- Two confidential reference letters must accompany this application. Letters should be mailed or faxed to Kacey Schaum. References should be non-family members with whom you interact on campus (faculty, staff, advisor, or president of an organization) or an organization you volunteer within the community. **Letters should also be turned in by Friday, April 5, 2013.
Empower is designed to inform and increase the skills of selected participants through interaction with campus administration and faculty, consultants in the leadership field, and with fellow participants. Application does not guarantee selection. We will accept up to 20 participants for the program. Program member selection is based on the following criteria:
- Class Standing: Sophomore
- Minimum GPA: 2.5
- Diverse groups of emerging leaders
- High standards of personal integrity
- Demonstrated campus involvement or aspirations to become more involved
- Record of school and personal achievements
- Commitment of necessary time and effort to complete the program
- Representation from a cross-section of the campus population
Applications are confidential. We will use information submitted for website information, should you be selected for the program. Please provide sufficient information to enable the committee to determine your eligibility based on your GPA, personal achievements, and campus involvement.
Please submit all application materials to Kacey Schaum, Assistant Director for Student Life, by Friday, April 5, 2013. All materials that are not submitted electronically should be mailed to 106 University Center or faxed to (256) 824-4883.
Financial Obligations: You may on occasion need to pay for your own meal if a meeting takes place at a local restaurant or if we travel for a retreat, other costs will be minimal.
Transportation and lodging will be provided for participants to and from retreats. Most meals will be covered at the retreats. Failure to participate will cause the student to be charged for lodging and any retreat costs paid in advance by the University.
If you have any further questions, please contact Kacey Schaum via email email@example.com or phone (256) 824-5420.
By checking this box, you are agreeing that you meet the above criteria and that you will submit all application materials by April 5, 2013.
Yes, I agree.
Address Line 2
State / Province / Region
Postal / Zip Code
Antigua and Barbuda
Bosnia and Herzegovina
British Indian Ocean Territory
Central African Republic
Democratic Republic of the Congo
Republic of the Congo
Papua New Guinea
Saint Kitts and Nevis
Saint Vincent and the Grenadines
Sao Tome and Principe
Trinidad and Tobago
United Arab Emirates
United States Minor Outlying Islands
Virgin Islands, British
Virgin Islands, U.S.
Community Activities (include dates)
Campus Involvement (include positions held)
List some of your leadership goals that you would like to achieve this year (Example: I want to be Vice President in my student organization)
What do you expect to gain from participation in Empower? (in 75 words or less)
How do you feel Empower will assist you in achieving some of the goals that you have listed above? (in 75 words or less)
Retreat is tentatively scheduled for September 6-8, 2013. Will you be able to attend?
Do Not Fill This Out